Invisible object in Octree

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
avena_robotics

Invisible object in Octree

Post by avena_robotics »

Hi!

I would like to subtract an object from the Octree but I do not want it to be visible nor collidable. The result should be an Octree with a hole inside.

I tried for example a solution to create a temporary object, add it to the scene and then subtract it from Octree and remove it from the scene but it did not work.

Is there any way to do it?

Thanks in advance and have a nice afternoon

gustavo.duarte

Re: Invisible object in Octree

Post by gustavo.duarte »

Good morning, as I understand it, do you want to keep the object in your hierarchy, but keep it invisible? well this can be solved easily.

just go to the object property> common> visibility> camera visibility layers> will have 8 selectable blocks, they represent a binary number.

select the object you want to make it invisible in another layer.

For better understanding: https://www.coppeliarobotics.com/helpFi ... Dialog.htm

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

avena_robotics wrote: 19 Aug 2020, 15:08 I tried for example a solution to create a temporary object, add it to the scene and then subtract it from Octree and remove it from the scene but it did not work.
Why didn't it work? What happened?

Cheers

avena_robotics

Post by avena_robotics »

Good morning,

thank you very much for the reply but this solution is not really what I need. Maybe I did not frame the problem precisely enough. I would like to subtract the object from the octree from the level of code and it would be better if it was not kept in the hierarchy.

Do you think there is any way to achieve that?

Have a nice day

avena_robotics

Post by avena_robotics »

coppelia wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 07:16
avena_robotics wrote: 19 Aug 2020, 15:08 I tried for example a solution to create a temporary object, add it to the scene and then subtract it from Octree and remove it from the scene but it did not work.
Why didn't it work? What happened?

Cheers
Hello,

actually it did work but the result is not as I expected: https://imgur.com/a/162QmBd. It looks like the cylinders that I have added are empty inside and that is why not whole area around smaller cylinder is cleared.

Now I am trying to create full solid but I cannot find any way to do it. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

coppelia
Site Admin

Post by coppelia »

Yes, only the faces of a shape will be taken into account, since there is no immediate notion of volume in CoppeliaSim...
A workaround would be to successively rotate a rectangular plane and subtract it at each iteration from the point cloud.

Cheers

avena_robotics

Post by avena_robotics »

Thanks, this sounds like a great solution but I already solved the problem in a different way. I am creating multiple temporary primitives between the item and final boundaries of the space to be cleared and then substract them from octotree. The result is what I wanted to get.

Thank you for help and have a nice day