PC Specifications

Typically: "How do I... ", "How can I... " questions
lightgear

PC Specifications

Post by lightgear »

Morning,
My dissertation project requires me to use Coppelia Sim for developing a swarm robotics algorithm. I have been testing various algorithms using the kilobot model supplied with the program however my laptop cannot handle more than about 50 of them in the same scene.
As a result I'm going to buy/build a new computer to run simulations quicker and scenes with larger amounts of models. I noticed when running simulations the program doesn't use the integrated graphics in my laptop and is very taxing on the CPU and RAM. I was wondering which direction I should be going spec wise for optimal running. Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers

coppelia
Site Admin

Re: PC Specifications

Post by coppelia »

Hello,

50 robots is normally already quite a lot. You should first look at optimizing the robot models (e.g. simplification, reducing the triangle/vertices count), and maybe also reducing the number of times you perform a certain calculation (e.g. distance calculations, collision detections, etc., normally do not need to be done in each simulation step (e.g. you could skip a few steps between individual calculations). Additionally, you could also reduce the visualization of the models to a strict minimum (e.g. a simple cylinder or cube, which is not a big problem with the Kilobot anyways).

But normally a mid-range machine with dedicated graphics card (nothing too fancy) should do well in most situations.

Cheers

lightgear

Re: PC Specifications

Post by lightgear »

Cheers, for the quick response. I'll work on what has to happen with each step count because a calculation every one isn't strictly necessary for what I am doing at the moment.